Dear Parents and Carers
Reflecting on 2020 has been memorable for so many things: social isolation, face masks, the constant hand washing to the new narrative: “2 tier” “2 metre distance” but 2020, was for us a wonderful momentous year, we saw the birth of our project – Accoutre Centre for Learning! It has been a truly marvellous journey; with many highs and just a few bumps in the road.
I am immensely proud to be at the forefront of this inspiring and innovative project. It is no exaggeration when I say that having the best team in the world has enabled so much to be accomplished in such a short space of time! From our amazing, brilliant and inspiring teachers to our supportive and active management committee. We also give a warm welcome to our most recent committee member Clara Uchay, who is highly skilled and experienced in all things fundraising.
So, what have we achieved over the past 6 months? Let me share some of our many highlights:
- We began teaching in August 2020…..when the naysayers said it could not be done. Well, we pressed on and proved them wrong!
- Our online lessons started with 8 students
- Lessons soon expanded to Years 7, 8, 9. 10 & 11
- We started with 8 students and a few months on we are now approaching 100
- November 2020 we launched our primary school now with Years 4 – 6….and an ever-growing waiting list
- In November 2020 we had our first ever Black History Month on Zoom and attracted some celebrity household names in the arts and entertainment (do see our website) – with just under 80 people online.
- Implemented a very tech savvy state of the art interactive website (designed by Armellie London)
- • ….and there’s more: we gave all our families very posh hampers; did a podcast for New York; spoke on a number of platforms; met some very influential people; pulled over on the hard shoulder off the motorway to do a fundraising presentation from Norwich to London (smiling throughout); had some amazing guest speakers (Donna Henry, Lecturer and Motivational Speaker; Davy Charles, Film Director and Poet and Grace Ononiwu, Director of Legal Services for the United Kingdom)….and the invitations continue to grow and the speaking platforms continue to come in weekly.
I want to take this opportunity to thank so many wonderful people that have propelled this project to the level where it is today: our wonderful teachers who were committed to the project from day one; our management team that show full enthusiasm and support for what we do on the ground; our sponsors and other organisation that have worked in collaboration with us, we look forward to a deeper working relationship in the upcoming year; and you – our brilliant parents/carers who are constantly encouraging (maybe nagging) them to “wake up and get online” and most importantly, our outstanding students – without whom there would be no Accoutre.
There are so many exciting projects happening in 2021 and the journey has only just begun. We look forward to welcoming you on board.